I didn’t know what to write. Actually I wanted to make summary of endocrine system but when I opened my book, suddenly my mood went away. You may wonder why I wanted to summarize endocrine system. Well, endocrinology was the last written exam I didn’t fail. It’s clear enough, isn’t it?
However, I still read my book but not so thoroughly. By the way, the book I use is Human Anatomy and Physiology by Elaine Marieb and Katja Hoehn. In the beginning of each chapter in this book, we can read an overview. In this post, I’m going to write overview of overview of endocrine system.
- Endocrine system release hormones. Hormones influence metabolic activity.
- Hormone is chemical messenger sent to extracellular fluid.
- There are two kinds of gland: exocrine and endocrine
- Exocrine gland has duct and it secretes stuff outside, example: sebaceous gland.
- Endocrine gland is ductless and there are a lot of vessels on it. The secretion is carried by blood.
- “Pure” endocrine glands include pituitary, thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal, and pineal glands.
- Hypothalamus has both endocrine and neural functions.
- Pancreas, gonads, and placenta perform endocrine and other functions.